Saturday, August 29, 2026

1 Corinthians 9: Preaching the Gospel of Jesus: A Necessity Laid Upon the Servant of God Scripture


Preaching the Gospel of Jesus: A Necessity Laid Upon the Servant of God

Scripture
1 Corinthians 9:16–18 ESV

“[16] For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! [17] For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. [18] What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.”

Observation
Paul shows us the way he sees preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a necessity laid upon him. That is why he said that he would not make full use of his right in the Gospel, even though, as an apostle and evangelist of Jesus, he had a genuine right to receive support for his ministry.


Application
Our calling, like Paul's, is to:

“[2] preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.”


(2 Timothy 4:2 ESV)
And, like Jesus:

“[6] who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped.”


(Philippians 2:6 ESV)
Then, our reward in the Kingdom—and an important characteristic of Christian disciples—is to become a servant of the Lord and therefore a servant of His people.
Then we could say, as Paul said:

“[19] For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.”

(1 Corinthians 9:19 ESV)


Prayer
Lord, like Paul, we come to You today because we are running the race of faith, and the prize we are running for is to preach the Word as much as we are able and to win more people for Your Kingdom.
May Your Holy Spirit make us servants, like Paul and our Lord Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped.
May we serve Your Body as our supreme goal.
In the name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.

--------------
Pastor Johny - JCRC Latin 

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Corinthians 9: Preaching the Gospel of Jesus: A Necessity Laid Upon the Servant of God Scripture

Preaching the Gospel of Jesus: A Necessity Laid Upon the Servant of God Scripture 1 Corinthians 9:16–18 ESV “[16] For if I preach the gospel...