Paul says:
“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.” — 1 Corinthians 13:6
That verse gives us the balance:
Love without truth becomes permissiveness.
Justice without love becomes harshness.
Biblical love holds truth and justice together.
⸻
LOVE DOES NOT MEAN TOLERATING EVERYTHING
Sometimes we misunderstand love.
We say:
“Because I love them, I will just accept everything they do.”
But biblical love cannot celebrate what God calls evil.
1 Corinthians 13:6 says love:
“does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.”
So love can say:
“I love you, but what you are doing is wrong.”
That is not hatred.
That can actually be love protecting someone from destruction.
THE CROSS IS WHERE LOVE AND JUSTICE MEET
This is perhaps the deepest Christian answer.
At the cross, God did not simply say:
“Sin doesn’t matter.”
Neither did He say:
“I will destroy everyone who sins.”
Instead, God’s justice was taken seriously, while God’s love provided salvation.
On the cross we were all forgiven but our relationship wasn’t restored until we accept Jesus as our lord and savior.
The cross does not cancel justice. It demonstrates both God’s justice and God’s love.
JESUS WAS LOVING BUT NEVER COMPROMISED TRUTH
Look at Jesus.
He loved sinners.
He touched lepers.
He ate with rejected people.
He forgave.
He showed mercy.
But He also confronted sin.
LOVE CORRECTS BECAUSE LOVE CARES
Sometimes silence is not love.
If someone is destroying themselves, and we say nothing because:
“I don’t want to hurt their feelings,”
that may not be love.
True love is willing to have difficult conversations.
LOVE AND BOUNDARIES CAN EXIST TOGETHER
Forgiveness does not always mean restoring the same level of trust.
You can say:
“I forgive you.”
and still say:
“I cannot allow you to continue hurting me.”
You can love someone and establish boundaries.
You can forgive someone and still require accountability.
You can pray for someone and still keep appropriate distance.
Love without justice
can become enabling.
Justice without love
can become cruelty.
Truth without grace
can become condemnation.
Grace without truth
can become compromise.
No comments:
Post a Comment